Are American Roads a Jungle?
donquijote1954
2005-03-23 17:09:52 UTC
see results at...
http://engforum.pravda.ru/showthread.php3?threadid=122628

Are American Roads a Jungle?
"I have managed to survive more than 12 months driving here, and I
thought I would share some tips with you, in case you ever develop
masochistic tendencies and evince a desire to drive here. These tips
will help you blend in."

Surviving in the jungle for 12 month ain't easy feat. It takes a lot of
knowledge of the laws...of the jungle. Number one is, size matters,
like the big fish eats the little fish... But don't take it from me...

Choice of Vehicle

-Choose the largest vehicle you can. Because petrol is so cheap here,
no matter how large your vehicle is, it still won't cost much to run. A
very large vehicle gives you several advantages.

-A large vehicle will allow you to see the traffic. If everyone is
driving normal size cars, everyone can see ahead to watch for stopping
or danger, and everyone can see if it's safe to turn left or right.
However, no-one drives normal size cars here. Everyone is driving large
vehicles. If you drive a normal size car, the sort found in the rest of
the world, you will be unable to see anything other than the tops of
the wheels of the other vehicles. This is clearly dangerous. Your only
recourse is to drive a huge vehicle yourself. The bigger the better,
because then you can peer over the tops of the other vehicles and be
alert for danger.

-The larger the vehicle you are driving, the more you can intimidate
the fools who choose to drive anything smaller. You will often need to
force other vehicles out of your way, especially those fools who
misunderstand the speed limits. And any fool who hesitates. If you have
a vehicle the same size as the one you want to intimidate, you are
going to make no impression on the other driver. Remember, they aren't
usually watching the road, so they won't notice your vehicle unless you
are really, really HUGE. If your vehicle is 6 times their size, then
they will notice you and they will hear you. You can happily ignore
them. They will stop or veer away from you because they know they will
be crushed by your juggernaut if they don't.

-When you choose your large vehicle, it will be unfinished. You will
need to modify the vehicle to suit your personality and abilities.
Generally speaking, you should enlarge your vehicle. Make it an extra 3
feet higher by adding massive shock absorbers and hydraulics. Make it
bigger again by adding oversized tyres. Make it wider by adding wide
tyres or huge side mirrors. You should aim to make the vehicle appear
bigger and bulkier. The bigger you are, the better you can be seen. The
bigger you are, the more vehicles you can intimidate.

On The Road

-Do not use your indicators to change lanes. It is a sign of weakness,
a warning that you not confident or skilled enough to simply move into
the next lane. Indicators are usually used by drivers who are not
travelling with the pack and are unable to simply move into a gap. If
you use your indicators, you will be seen as a dangerous driver and
other drivers will PUNISH you. They will punish you by immediately
moving up to block your passage.

-Do not use your indicators when turning corners. It is unnecessary as
no-one needs to know if you are turning or not.

-Because of the nature of the roads, you will often enter a highway in
the right-most lane, and need to turn left almost immediately
afterwards. You will need to cross four or five lanes almost
immediately. This is relatively easy and should be done without the use
of indicators. If you use your indicators, other drivers will close up
and prevent your passage. Most drivers will be travelling in packs and
travelling at speed. You can trust them to maintain their formations.
Simply swing across into the desired lane. They will trust you too and
they will not slow down or swerve. They will simply ignore you. This is
correct behaviour and traffic will flow smoothly.

-When you first obtain a drivers license in your state of choice, you
have to sit for a small examination to show that you know the rules of
the road. You will be given a small booklet with the rules in it and
expected to memorise it. Two things to remember. The book contains
rules and numbers that you have to remember just long enough to pass
the exam and get your license. It can then be forgotten. This is a
small exercise in short-term memory abilities. And anyway, the rules
are optional. They are for ideal conditions, like when a traffic
policeman is watching you carefully. They are not meant to be used in
the real world. For example, the book says you should not cross
unbroken white lines. In reality, you should not cross unbroken white
lines unless you want to.

Sharing The Road

-You might sometimes notice that there are things on the road that are
smaller than smaller vehicles. I refer to motorcycles, bicycles,
pedestrians and animals. These are small and can generally be ignored.

more...

http://www.hgriggs.com/driving.html

http://committed.to/justiceforpeace
Scott Buchanan
donquijote1954
2005-03-24 08:30:49 UTC
Post by Scott Buchanan
Funny. Too bad that it is true. Where were you driving?
If you've driven I-95 in Florida then you know the jungle. The problem
is SUVs, kids racing among cars, supersonic motorcyclists and every
other suicidal driver out there. And of course, this other issue...

There's something particularly bad about American roads: LACK OF LANE
DISCIPLINE. Nobody enforces that here. This makes our roads nothing
short of CHAOTIC and DEADLY. And then if you choose to do the right
thing and drive a small car, you will understand how you feel when
those 5 ton vehicles whistle past you on all sides...

'All I am saying is that you can eliminate the majority of
inconsiderate driving and "road rage" by instituting and enforcing keep
right except to pass.

In addition you will save a considerable number of lives.

This will also take care of much of the problem driving having to do
with talking on phones applying makeup etc. The reason being that the
majority of times I see it as a problem the driver is in the LEFT lane
weaving. If we institute keep right except to pass we can safely blow
by these idiots when we think it is safe to do so rather than having
them hang out next to us.

As for those of you concerned about being stuck in the right lane going
too slowly. I can assure you that if the faster drivers are allowed to
get by, without being roadblocked in the passing lane, you will not
have a buildup of cars that will take 5 minutes to go by in close
proximity to each other.

In addition whenever I have seen the situation described in the
previous paragraph, the right lane is basically doing the speed limit.
Your real complaint is that the speed limits are too low and you want
to hang out in the left lane at a higher speed but don't want to be
courteous and pullover to allow others to pass.'

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/di...w/.ef08fa1/4340
Odinn
2005-03-24 12:25:13 UTC
Post by donquijote1954
Post by Scott Buchanan
Funny. Too bad that it is true. Where were you driving?
If you've driven I-95 in Florida then you know the jungle.
I did, just yesterday, from Jacksonville to Daytona (then took 4 over to
Orlando)
Post by donquijote1954
The problem
is SUVs, kids racing among cars, supersonic motorcyclists and every
other suicidal driver out there. And of course, this other issue...
Didn't see any of this. Hell, I was on the only motorcycle I saw on the
road in that 140 miles and I was following an SUV with 3 adults and 2
kids (my wife, her bother and his wife and their 2 kids). We moved
along at a leisurely 80-85 MPH.
Post by donquijote1954
There's something particularly bad about American roads: LACK OF LANE
DISCIPLINE. Nobody enforces that here. This makes our roads nothing
short of CHAOTIC and DEADLY. And then if you choose to do the right
thing and drive a small car, you will understand how you feel when
those 5 ton vehicles whistle past you on all sides...
Lack of lane discipline? Does this refer to stay in the right lane
except to pass, or to people drifting between lanes? I didn't see
either problem yesterday, everyone was moving at relatively close
speeds, so the left lane was moving just a few MPH faster then the
right, no one drifting between lanes.
Post by donquijote1954
[...]
Then you've never lived in an area where 90% of the traffic is at or
over the speed limit while the other 10% is under the speed limit with
this enforced.
Post by donquijote1954
In addition whenever I have seen the situation described in the
previous paragraph, the right lane is basically doing the speed limit.
Your real complaint is that the speed limits are too low and you want
to hang out in the left lane at a higher speed but don't want to be
courteous and pullover to allow others to pass.'
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/di...w/.ef08fa1/4340
I'm not slowing down from 80MPH to 50MPH to change to the right lane
because some asshole behind me wants to do 82MPH. He can suffer at the
80 MPH until there is no traffic at all in the right lane.
--
Odinn

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot
do." --Walter Bagehot

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Bownse
2005-03-24 13:00:06 UTC
Post by Odinn
I'm not slowing down from 80MPH to 50MPH to change to the right lane
because some asshole behind me wants to do 82MPH. He can suffer at the
80 MPH until there is no traffic at all in the right lane.
The actual problem is when the joker in the left lane is doing 52 mph
and won't move over for the people wanting to do 80.
--
Mark Johnson, Ft. Worth, TX
http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org
Impotence...Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings.
Odinn
2005-03-24 13:09:56 UTC
Post by Bownse
Post by Odinn
I'm not slowing down from 80MPH to 50MPH to change to the right lane
because some asshole behind me wants to do 82MPH. He can suffer at
the 80 MPH until there is no traffic at all in the right lane.
The actual problem is when the joker in the left lane is doing 52 mph
and won't move over for the people wanting to do 80.
Ahh, I don't typically have that problem, I ride right on their bumper
and turn on the bright lights, they usually move over pretty quick.

rot13 to reply
The Office Jet
2005-03-24 13:37:42 UTC
Post by Odinn
Post by Bownse
Post by Odinn
I'm not slowing down from 80MPH to 50MPH to change to the right lane
because some asshole behind me wants to do 82MPH. He can suffer at
the 80 MPH until there is no traffic at all in the right lane.
The actual problem is when the joker in the left lane is doing 52 mph
and won't move over for the people wanting to do 80.
Ahh, I don't typically have that problem, I ride right on their bumper
and turn on the bright lights, they usually move over pretty quick.
So, you're that guy. The guy that scares the snot out of people when
they're driving along minding their own business.
Ari Rankum
2005-03-24 13:57:42 UTC
Post by Odinn
Post by Bownse
Post by Odinn
I'm not slowing down from 80MPH to 50MPH to change to the right lane
because some asshole behind me wants to do 82MPH. He can suffer at
the 80 MPH until there is no traffic at all in the right lane.
The actual problem is when the joker in the left lane is doing 52 mph
and won't move over for the people wanting to do 80.
Ahh, I don't typically have that problem, I ride right on their bumper
and turn on the bright lights, they usually move over pretty quick.
I don't. I expect an idiot driver to be an idiot in many other aspects
of their lives, including regard for the welfare of others. I really
don't want to experience a cager brake-check while right off their bumper.

Instead, I try to accept that, human nature being what it is, a cager
will attempt to foil any attempt to get by him and proceed with life.
That's why human nature is so much fun when I'm on a motorcycle. That
BDC that hangs out in the left lane, only speeding up when a passing
opportunity presents itself to his right, is well-schooled when he finds
that motorcycle that had been held up behind him suddenly in front of
him in the blink of an eye.

I believe with the right scientific instrumentation, you could actually
measure the cager's member shrinkage as you disappear ahead.
Bownse
2005-03-24 14:09:38 UTC
Post by Odinn
Post by Bownse
Post by Odinn
I'm not slowing down from 80MPH to 50MPH to change to the right lane
because some asshole behind me wants to do 82MPH. He can suffer at
the 80 MPH until there is no traffic at all in the right lane.
The actual problem is when the joker in the left lane is doing 52 mph
and won't move over for the people wanting to do 80.
Ahh, I don't typically have that problem, I ride right on their bumper
and turn on the bright lights, they usually move over pretty quick.
Tried that many times. There are people (in many states) that have
appointed themselves as protectors of the white rectangle (speed limit
sign). The set up these rolling road block at exactly the posted limit
and proclaim, "NONE SHALL PASS", as if they were a quadriplegic Black
Knight.
--
Mark Johnson, Ft. Worth, TX
http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org
one end and no sense of responsibility at the other." - Ronald Reagan
Keith Schiffner
2005-03-24 14:14:53 UTC
Post by Bownse
Post by Odinn
Post by Bownse
Post by Odinn
I'm not slowing down from 80MPH to 50MPH to
change to the right lane because some asshole
behind me wants to do 82MPH. He can suffer
at the 80 MPH until there is no traffic at
all in the right lane.
The actual problem is when the joker in the
left lane is doing 52 mph and won't move over
for the people wanting to do 80.
Ahh, I don't typically have that problem, I
ride right on their bumper and turn on the
bright lights, they usually move over pretty
quick.
Tried that many times. There are people (in many
states) that have appointed themselves as
protectors of the white rectangle (speed limit
sign). The set up these rolling road block at
exactly the posted limit and proclaim, "NONE
SHALL PASS", as if they were a quadriplegic
Black Knight.
Oh THOSE people...I pass them in such a manner
that they buy new underwear. 8^)
--
Nefarious Necrologist 42nd Degree
Some people ride, some just like to show off their
<:(3 )3~ <:(3 )3~ <:(3 )~ <:(3 )~
Bownse
2005-03-24 15:35:41 UTC
Post by Keith Schiffner
Post by Bownse
Post by Odinn
Post by Bownse
Post by Odinn
[...]
I'm sayin'! When it's possible. Sometimes it's not (at least right
away). Which is a good reason to support lane splitting BTW.
--
Mark Johnson, Ft. Worth, TX
http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org
and without pity." ~ Robert Heinlein
donquijote1954
2005-03-24 15:36:53 UTC
OK, let's talk about the SOLUTION. I start...

-A system similar to the Autobahn. Unrestricted speed in safe areas.
Bring experts from there

-Tougher licensing, including special status for lerner (L)

-Lane discipline enforced

-Bigger vehicles require special license or pay more for tickets or
both

-Minimum speed enforced on highways

-No cell phone, makeup, coffee or newspaper ;)

-Signal lights mandatory

THE AUTOBAHN (very interesting)

TRAFFIC REGULATIONS

To safely facilitate heavy, high-speed traffic, special laws apply when
driving on the Autobahn:

-Vehicles with a maximum speed rating of less than 60 km/h (36 mph) are
prohibited as are bicycles, mopeds, and pedestrians.

-PASSING ON THE RIGHT IS PROHIBITED! Slower vehicles must move to the
right to allow faster traffic to pass, and drivers should stay in the
right lane except to pass. When passing, you must do so as quickly as
possible.

-Stopping, parking, U-turns, and reverse travel are prohibited,
including on shoulders and ramps (except for emergencies, of course.)

-Entering and exiting is permitted only at interchanges.

-During traffic jams, motorists must leave an emergency lane between
the left lane and the adjacent center or right lane for emergency
vehicles. This is accomplished by traffic in the left lane moving as
far to the left as possible and traffic in the adjacent lane moving as
far to the right as possible.

-If you have a breakdown or accident, you must move to the shoulder if
possible and place a warning triangle 200 meters behind the scene. You
must report the incident to the authorities using the nearest emergency
phone (see below.)

-It is illegal to run out of gas on the Autobahn.

There are no tolls to use the Autobahn. It is one of the few free
superhighway systems in Europe. There was some talk a few years ago of
charging an annual fee (like Switzerland), but that hasn't
materialized.

Driving customs:

-Motorists at the rear of a traffic jam will usually switch on their
hazard blinkers to warn approaching traffic.

-Although it's illegal, other drivers may flash their high beams at you
or use their left turn signal to request that you move to the right to
let them pass.

-Even though the "drive right, pass left" rule is generally adhered to,
you may find some cases where motorists will stay in the left or center
lane when passing even though the vehicles they're passing are somewhat
widely spaced.

CONSTRUCTION & CLOSURES (very nice!)

In the event that a segment of Autobahn must be closed due to an
accident or other emergency, pre-posted detours are ready to guide
traffic around the closure. When you exit the Autobahn, start following
the * signs. Each exit has a numbered detour route that will take you
to the next entrance. If that entrance is also closed, follow the next
sequential detour number to reach the next entrance after that (odd
numbers head in one direction, even numbers in the opposite direction.)
You can also use these detours as an optional route to bypass
congestion.

http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/autobahn.htm

donquijote1954
You must have a mean face, 'cause it doesn't work for me.
donquijote1954
2005-03-24 15:01:05 UTC
Post by Bownse
Post by Odinn
I'm not slowing down from 80MPH to 50MPH to change to the right lane
because some asshole behind me wants to do 82MPH. He can suffer at the
80 MPH until there is no traffic at all in the right lane.
The actual problem is when the joker in the left lane is doing 52 mph
and won't move over for the people wanting to do 80.
--
Someone suggested using a hand granade, but I'd stay away from it,
since you will not even be given a medal. Actually, the full force of
the law will fall on you until they get the last penny out you. ;)
donquijote1954
2005-03-24 13:46:31 UTC
Post by Odinn
Post by donquijote1954
Post by Scott Buchanan
Funny. Too bad that it is true. Where were you driving?
If you've driven I-95 in Florida then you know the jungle.
I did, just yesterday, from Jacksonville to Daytona (then took 4 over to
Orlando)
I should have said South Florida, since I barely know the north. The
south (south of West Palm Beach) is very, very busy so things get worse
and all these things apply. But lane discipline is a national problem,
so chaos is to be expected wherever you can zigzag at will on the road,
particularly where you use your mass to intimidate others.
Motorhead Lawyer
2005-03-23 17:36:15 UTC
-When you choose your large vehicle, Make it
bigger again by adding oversized tyres.
Ain't no *Real Man* would put "tyres" on a truck! We use *Tars*!

(And they ain't "oversized"; they's *33s*!)
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)
Furious George
2005-03-23 17:54:55 UTC
Post by Motorhead Lawyer
-When you choose your large vehicle, Make it
bigger again by adding oversized tyres.
Ain't no *Real Man* would put "tyres" on a truck! We use *Tars*!
Real men use tracks and they're tanks not trucks.
(Been there; done that)
Keith Schiffner
2005-03-24 00:37:26 UTC
"Furious George"
SNIP
Post by Furious George
Real men use tracks and they're tanks not
trucks.
Ah, what a ill-informed weenie. IF I were to use a
tracked vehicle on the street it would be either a
M548 OR a M113A3. But the 548 would get converted
to the M113A3's drivetrain package. Adds a tubo
and a REAL transaxle instead of a transmission
differential set up. FAR faster and more
controllable i.e. you can induce powerslides in a
straight line on mud.
donquijote1954
2005-03-24 14:26:41 UTC
"Road rage is like terrorism - it may be excessive and unjust, it may
cause innocent victims, and it may be undeserved, but it is never
unprovoked."

I like the definition, though I'd use the word "rarely" instead of
"never." I have had unprovoked rage, like others raging at me for doing
the right thing, which, regrettably, they may be unaware of.

My rage though is directed at the Department of Motor Vehicles and the
Highway Patrol. It IS a systemic problem. They issue the "licence to
kill" and they fail to enforce lane discipline. The jungle starts
there, and packing a bigger gun, just makes you another victim of the
game. Guess where you will land after you use it, and how much it'll
cost you in lawyers? Perhaps the whole thing is about feeding the lion
and foxes.

Now I just drive with a Mona Lisa smile thinking: "It's a jungle out
there."

"Driver cut you off? It's your fault. You shouldn't have been driving
so slowly.

Driver refuses to let you merge? It's your fault. They have the right
of way, so back off and yield.

Driver tailgating you? It's your fault. Speed up, or pull over and let
them pass.

Driver threatens you with a gun? It's your fault. Carry a bigger gun,
or a hand grenade.

Driver deliberately hits your car? It's your fault. You should have got
out of their way.

This is not a problem that can be solved through legislation, because
you can't legislate common sense. You alone are responsible for your
lot in life. Stop worrying about other drivers and look to yourself for
the solution. Also being more patient helps."

http://roadragers.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=44&
donquijote1954
2005-03-24 14:45:47 UTC
For real HORROR STORIES turn to this website...

http://roadragers.com/forums/index.php?s=2681b0d1066b0d41e2f503354791c5cf&act=SF&f=2

Cell phones have undoubtedly inspired some of the best ones... ;)

Cell phone rage
By Michelle Gillett

STOCKBRIDGE

AFTER A visit to Williamstown's art galleries and a stop at Plaine's in
Pittsfield to check out the bikes a few weeks ago, I was driving down
South Street in the left lane, preparing to make the turn onto Crofut
Street to drop off my traveling companion. We were discussing the pros
and cons of hybrid bikes versus road bikes versus mountain bikes, when
she said, "Holy s***, we're going to be killed!"

I glanced over to where she was pointing and saw a car crossing the
right hand lane of traffic, heading straight for us. Instead of
steering into the turning lane, the driver was making a wide loop that
put us directly into her path and brought her within a hair's breadth
of demolishing us before I threw my upper body against the horn which
caused her to look up and realize she was about to kill us. Somehow,
she corrected the turn, all the while laughing into the cell phone she
was holding.

In the prolonged seconds of this near death experience, I could see
clearly what had happened: She had turned right onto South Street from
a side street but had been unable to negotiate the turn that would have
placed her appropriately into the right hand lane because she was
driving with one hand and one quarter of her brain. The other hand was
holding the cell phone and the rest of her brain was engaged in
conversation.

My friend and I used expletives that we didn't know we knew. We even
used some hand gestures. Unlike Dick Cheney we didn't feel better. We
felt outraged and shaken. The driver who nearly killed us blithely
traveled on still chatting away on her cell phone. She looked animated.
She was still laughing -- undoubtedly telling the tale of her almost
collision with us.

(continues)